Friday, April 5, 2002

Math Teacher auctions his forehead for $5,000,000. Proceeds will be used for non-profit school, two churches and scholarship funds

Math Teacher auctions his forehead for $5,000,000. Proceeds will be used for non-profit school, two churches and scholarship funds.

Math Teacher auctions his forehead for $5,000,000. Proceeds will be used for non-profit school, two churches and scholarship funds.

(PRWEB) August 6, 2005

Mr. Wright, a high school math teacher at A+ Academy (a 501.c.3 non-profit public charter school) in Dallas is offering the use of his forehead for advertising.

It is being listed on eBay starting on Friday, Aug 5, 2005 at 9:00 PST and will be listed for 7 days. Starting bid is for $5,000,000.

For an extra $1,000,000 Mr. Wright will also shave his head.

Any advertising will have to be appropriate for teaching at a school.

When asked why he is doing this, he replied,"It is to help our school. I outlined on eBay where the money is going to be spent. $2 Million will be used for the construction of a new high school; $500,000 each will also be given to two churches; $220,000 will be used to purchase two brand new homes for two different families. These family members must be either employees of A+ Academy and/or have students who attend school.

Money will also be set up for scholarship accounts for every graduating senior (approximately $12,000 each). School vehicles will be purchased."

Mr. Wright also stated that is school serves a financially challenged zipcode where there is a high drop out rate, high teenage fatality and high teenage death rate. Our school graduated 100% of it's Seniors last year, 2005, and they all past the TAKS tests. We are also in an old DISD facility that is about 50 years old and we need more space. We have approximately 950 students in pre-K to 12th grade. We do not have a baseball or softball field. Our football field needs repairs. We do not have a field house. We need locker rooms and more restrooms, etc.

Several students are taking college courses and I would like to award every student who graduates next year (Class of 2006) a college scholarship worth around $12,000 (this is for about 40 seniors). Money will be reimbursed for successful grades at any public or private university. My goal is that if we can help these seniors to get a good education that we will be helping our neighborhood and their families.

The biggest thing is having hope and faith.

Mr. Wright also mentioned that he is a retired Army Major (Corps of Engineers) who retired from Active Duty in Dec, 96. He states that the teacher salaries are about $10,000 less than nearby Dallas, Garland, Mesquite, Richardson and Plano schools. Part of this money will be used to give to every A+ Academy Staff and Faculty Member as a way of thanking them for their service.

"I have been a teacher for 4 years, and this will be my 5th. This is my 3rd year teaching at A+ Academy. I love teaching here and I drive 70 miles a day from Plano to teach here. There are other teachers who drive similar distances. It is not the pay, but the environment. We have a lot of parents who lost their faith in the public school system and have their children attend here. We have a uniform policy and have a zero tolerance for any gang related incidents.

I knew this is where I wanted to be when I know I am helping students who say "they are failures in math" or "they feel stupid". I have seen these same students get A's in my class, and it is a great feeling to see them smile, do their homework and feel proud about themselves.

I was sick for a few days last spring, and when I returned back to teach, I had some of my Juniors in my Algebra II class welcome me back to class, and said they would rather listen to my corny jokes then to have a substitute. They also called me on my cell phone and wished I was doing better and they wanted to see me back at school.

Things like this happen a lot. I have some students with a limited English vocabulary, and it is a great feeling to get across a math concept or just to hear a "Good Morning, Mr. Wright".

Things like this are worth more to me than any medal that I received in the Army. It really is a rewarding experience to help my students.

Portions of this will also be used to be given to every employee and staff member of A+ Academy.

You can also read more about this by doing a search on eBay starting on Friday, Aug 5, 2005 at 9:00 am PST. If you can not find this, then

Please contact Mr. Wright below.

For more information, you can contact Mr. Wright at:

A+ Academy

Attention: Mr. JohnK Wright, V

10327 Rylie Road

Dallas, Texas 75217

Phone: 972-557-5578

FYI..

A+ Academy is also conducting a free community health fair on Saturday, September 10, 2005.