Tuesday, October 5, 2004

SPA INDEX REVIEWS THE WE CARE HOLISTIC HEALTH CENTER IN DESERT HOT SPRINGS, CALIFORNIA

SPA INDEX REVIEWS THE WE CARE HOLISTIC HEALTH CENTER IN DESERT HOT SPRINGS, CALIFORNIA

"I needed an experience which would cleanse my mind, body and spirit."

(PRWEB) November 21, 2003

The We Care Holistic Health Center ("We Care") in Desert Springs, California enjoys a favorable reputation as a holistic health care center with the Hollywood crowd, who have long appreciated both its private and intimate facilities, and its strict liquid-diet and colonic cleansing regimen.

Some guests hope for a panacea for an excessive lifestyle; other guests seek and find a spiritual restorative escape. At is core, however, We Care is less of a celebrity weekend detox camp than it is a group of individuals passionate about their programs and their guests. Those guests return to the Spa year after year.

Owner and nutritional expert Susana Lombardi and her daughter and partner, Susy Lombardi, describe We Care as "a popular hot spot for overworked corporate America, media executives, models, musicians, and actors, and the spiritually-minded and health-conscious around the globe."

"Naturally, we wanted a first-hand look at a popular spa which receives a good deal of popular press" said Kristina Fitzhugh, Editor of Spa Index. "More than that, however, we felt we needed a man's perspective; we wanted him to have little or no experience with alternative health methods; we wanted him fairly 'new' to the spa environment; and, we wanted someone who was willing and eager to seek out a new experience, but a little nervous, at the same time."

In October, Spa Index sent its UK-based field reviewer to We Care, and we are pleased to share his experience with our readers:

"After a grueling year spent in England, away from my usual Pacific Northwest environs, I ended this summer feeling tired, stressed and in need of something to 'kick start' my return to the United States. I needed more than just a week of 'R and R'; I was looking for an experience which would cleanse my mind, body and spirit.

We Care Holistic Health Center in Desert Springs, California has received quite a bit of favorable press from the 'Hollywood crowd' and, I was assured by a member of the Spa Index team that We Care's program fit precisely the criteria I was looking for -- something quiet, restful, clean, and restorative, with an emphasis on natural body care and nutrition.

Although I was skeptical because I had never fasted or cleansed (We Care's fasting / cleansing program is a major component of a week-long stay) it was time for me to expose myself to something new.

Upon arrival, the first thing which struck me was how intimate the Center actually is. We Care is a relatively small complex, but on spacious grounds. The cluster of buildings is on five acres in the Mojave Desert. The setting is serene and I found it to be quite relaxing -- I enjoyed wonderful sunrises over the surrounding mountains. The Center itself includes swimming pools, Jacuzzis, a medicine wheel, labyrinth, and several places where you can simply lounge and relax.

I selected the Plan A Package (Sunday to Sunday, 8 days, 7 nights) which includes accommodations, meals in the form of a liquid diet, 6 Colonics, 1 Lymphatic Massage, and 2 Detox Baths. My plan included a "Colony" room, which was modest, but sufficient for my needs. If you are looking for a 4 or 5 star hotel or Connoisseur Spa, We Care is not the place.

Although the website boasts 'spacious and fully stocked bathrooms', I found the bathroom was the least impressive element to the room. My room, for example, in a recently constructed building, had a bathtub, but only a small handheld shower attachment, rather than full step-in shower. All rooms have satellite televisions, telephones and air conditioning. Premium rooms have a special Moroccan flair with custom mosaic tiling. Deluxe and Colony rooms have VCR's.

I learned We Care is in the process of putting in mineral baths and mud baths, but currently did not have them on the premises. They did offer the complimentary use of a mineral bath facility not far from the Center, and I took advantage of it on a couple of occasions. The mineral baths were associated with a trailer park and although not fancy or modern, were very clean.

With respect to the health program, unfortunately, I missed the initial introduction, but was greeted by Candi Lee, We Care's receptionist and esthetician, and Tris Legacy, We Care's spa manager, who assisted me with check-in, provided an information packet, and explained the program to me. Candi also helped me to make my first detox beverage.

That first evening, an 'Opening Circle' was held where you were given the opportunity to meet fellow guests and staff, and ask additional questions before beginning the program. I noted some of the other guests of the Center were staying in rooms off-site, coming during the day for the health program.

Prior to arrival, We Care recommends you follow a preparation plan (provided in advance) in order to help your system adjust to the program. While I did not prepare to the extent recommended, I did cut out caffeine, which was my legal drug of choice, and found this to be sufficient for me.

The fasting program was charted out for me, so it was up to me to follow the instructions, although the staff was available if I needed assistance or had additional questions.

Following the fasting program on my own was not difficult, and in fact, by doing so, I feel like We Care empowered me to continue this program on my own, after leaving the Center.

The core liquid fasting program consists of hourly drinks meant to feed your cells, kidneys, liver, blood levels, and heart, and support digestion, to free up the bodyÂ’s energy, which can be used to purify and rebuild the system.

While on the fast, I felt hungry the first two days, but not unbearably so, and on the third day I felt horrible. I learned the dreaded "Day 3 syndrome" is common, as your body is being cleansed of toxins which have built up over time, and this third day is particularly notable as the system begins to flush those toxins. After Day 3 passed, I felt much better and found the remainder of my liquid fast to be both uneventful and productive.

As part of my plan, I received a daily colonic and a lymphatic massage once during my stay. The hourly beverages, colonics, and body treatments are each intended to work together to stimulate the lymph system, exfoliate dead skin cells, open pores, and cleanse the system in order to promote toxin release. The colonic is designed to cleanse the colon with gentle hydrotherapy -- a new procedure for me, and one which made me a little skeptical.

I learned from We Care that a colonic is a method of cleansing the colon and large intestine. It is similar to an enema in the sense that water is being introduced to the colon to wash out accumulated waste. However, a colonic is a deep cleanse of the entire large intestine, whereas an enema cleanses only the lowest part of the colon. A colonic is a clean and sanitary procedure and all tubes used for colonics at We Care are single-use, sanitized and disposable.

I found it uncomfortable at first, but not painful. Having said that, I was amazed by the results -- I had a feeling of well-being and cleanliness which made the initial discomfort worthwhile.

We Care also offers several types of massage, body and skin care therapies for an additional charge, including Reflexology, Sacred Stone Massage, Cellulite Treatments, Skin Care (a variety of facials), Body Scrubs, and Waxing. I received a number of spa therapies, and enjoyed them all.

Activities were scheduled throughout the week, including nutrition, yoga, meditation, walks and a variety of holistic healthcare seminars. These seminars were entirely voluntary, but I attended as many as I could. Guests need to be careful to ensure spa and health treatments are scheduled around those classes/seminars they would like to attend. Also offered are movement and dance classes, Ayurvedic medicine classes, hormone therapy, spiritual counseling, individualized nutritional counseling, hair analysis and other workshops.

The evening seminars discussed and introduced us to other therapies which were available (for an added cost), during the week. Although this initially struck me as a sales pitch, I did take a Breath work seminar and thought it was terrific - I felt fantastic afterward.

The people I met were the best part of my stay --the group was fantastic, each one sharing their own experiences, and the We Care staff was very helpful and worked hard to make my stay a pleasant one.

A week removed and having some time to reflect, I would do it again. The We Care experience opened my mind to new things and enhanced my awareness about nutrition, holistic health, and even people. I truly feel better. It is now up to me to take those things I learned and introduce them into my every day life." Contributed to Spa Index by Steve G.

Weekly plans for We Care are from $1790 and up. Please call the toll-free reservation line to schedule your fasting retreat and discuss our various rate plans. We Care's direct local number is (760) 251-2261. We Care strictly enforces a cancellation policy to ensure space and availability for guests.

WE CARE HOLISTIC HEALTH CENTER

18000 LONG CANYON ROAD

DESERT HOT SPRINGS, CALIFORNIA

WWW. WECARESPA. COM

Spa Index is a comprehensive online Guide to Day Spas and Stay Spas, with extensive listings in the United States and Internationally, as well as spa industry resources and career information, spa cuisine and spa at home recipes, limited time specials, reader reviews, staff reviews, and much more.

Spa Index, Guide to Day Spas and Stay Spas

1511 M Sycamore, Suite 104

Hercules, CA 94547

Http://www. SpaIndex. Com (http://www. SpaIndex. Com) - website

###